Re: Combine these segments for same score

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Combine these segments for same score
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 20:35:51 +0100

Am 16.12.18 um 20:22 schrieb Graham King:
On 16 Dec 2018, at 18:05, Reggie wrote:

Urs Liska-3 wrote
Reggie,

one thing you will have to accept is that the segment approach you're
after will not save compilation time of the score as a whole. What it can
do is give you a handle to compile only small chunks or "segments" at a
time *while editing*.

I'm only on my mobile phone so I can't go into detail now, but you should
clarify if that is what you mean or if my comment shows you that you were
hoping for something that doesn't exist.

Urs
Urs hello this is 100% what I am desiring to save on small chunk segments
compile times during editing. I am aware and OK with of course having to
wait in the "end" when the full score needs to be compiled :)) I am
interested in how to create segments as I go along and the piece gets longer
and I compile segments as NEEDED during editing yes yes. Can you at your
convenience help in this thread with how segments work I feel so stupid.
Thank you hugely.

I hope I'm not missing the point.  Could this be what you're looking for?
"Skipping corrected music"  Section 3.4.2 of the Notation Reference.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/skipping-corrected-music

It's a way of saving compile time when you don't need to see the entire length
of a piece.

It is one way, and it's the easiest one, but it's by far not the most efficient (wrt to time saving). "Skipping" skips the *typesetting* stage but not the *parsing* stage, and with large scores this already may use significant time.

When I worked on a score where compilation time really mattered, a full compilation took about 7 minutes while restricting it to one out of 100 pages with skipTypesetting still required one minute of parsing time. If you set things up so LilyPond only *sees* this single page in the first place the compilation is cut to a few seconds.

Urs