Re: Fatal error compiling large project (Win10/2.19.82)

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Fatal error compiling large project (Win10/2.19.82)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:13:41 -0800

On 2018-12-18 7:24 pm, Saul Tobin wrote:
It looks like the Fatal realloc error happens after the score finishes
compiling while it's being written to a temporary file. At that point, the Lilypond process is using ~1.8 G of RAM. Is it possible I'm running into a
32 bit size limitation in Guile or something like that?

Very likely. There have been a number of issues reported before regarding memory pressure. The Windows build of LilyPond is 32-bit only. Also, I do not believe it is "large-address aware" either, so that means the address space is strictly 2GiB. When you factor in DLLs and other resources, 1.8GiB is probably a reasonable upper bound for the working set.

Due to a number of factors (bit-ness being one of them), I switched to using the 64-bit Linux build of LilyPond, running it under the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). This strategy, however, is not for the faint of heart. You can search the mailing list for some posts I made on the subject; but if you are not already using WSL, it may not make sense to set it up just for LilyPond.

To work within the limits of the existing Windows build, you will ultimately have to simplify the score in some way. Manually segmenting it could allow you to compile each section without running out of memory, leaving you with the (hopefully) trivial task of stitching together the individual outputs into a single result.

-- Aaron Hill