Re: Compiling LilyPond on Linux Mint 19.1

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Compiling LilyPond on Linux Mint 19.1
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 19:06:43 +0100

Am 21.12.18 um 09:06 schrieb Urs Liska:
Hi Lukas,

thanks for putting this together. Indeed since installing a distro that doesn't Guile 1.8 anymore I hadn't been able to compile LilyPond anymore. Once I managed to compile Guile 1.8 and do a build but for some reason I lost this option. I think the point was that after compiling Guile I had to actually change the way LilyPond's make was handled - which of course isn't sustainable.

I'm also running Linux Mint 19.1, and followed your command list (and the previous instructions from the CG). Except that I already had some of the dependencies installed everything worked flawlessly, and I could run a make to compile LilyPond, register that in Frescobaldi and compile a .ly file with it. A warning about missing URW fonts was the only issue I encountered. make doc took the expected ages but worked without errors too!

So I can confirm that the steps work on Linux Mint 19.

Janek WachoĊ‚ has written a few scripts to help managing multiple LilyPond builds, which I really appreciated when I had them working. Basically they provide a configuration layer around the compilation, then create a local clone of the main code repository and build from that copy. That makes it possible to have multiple different builds from different branches (or even states of a branch) in parallel. I will see if I can integrate that with compiling through a self-compiled Guile and report back. Maybe these scripts are of use for others as well.

I have looked again into these scripts and found that they (still) work well. The script that I suggest looking into is located at https://github.com/jan-warchol/cli-tools/blob/master/lilypond/build-lily.sh

However, when it is considered of general use I'll ask Janek to extract the script from his scripts collection.

In order to use the script two environment variables have to be exported (presumably from .bashrc):

LILYPOND_GIT=/path/to/lilypond/source/repository
LILYPOND_BUILD_DIR=/path/to/root/of/lilypond-builds

When invoked without arguments the script will clone the source repository in its current state to the "current" subdirectory of LILYPOND_BUILD_DIR and build it from there. Settings to build other branches (or combinations of branches) to other target directories are described at the beginning of the script.

Does this look interesting to anybody?
Urs

Best
Urs