Re: Possible bug with tempo mark spacing

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Possible bug with tempo mark spacing
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 10:48:33 -0500

Hi Malte,

> That sounds like a really special case: MarkLine context AND hidden Staff AND
> this staff contains notes (why is it hidden then?) AND Y-offset is set AND
> extra-spacing-width is set …

That "really special case" includes >50% of my choral writing, which comprises
>50% of my composition and engraving projects.  =)

1. I use a MarkLine context 100% of the time.

2. That MarkLine context has Y-offset and extra-spacing-width set in its
definition.

3. In a choral score containing both divisi and combined staves, it is
essentially guaranteed that there will be at least one (and likely multiple)
hidden Staff contexts which contain notes.

> I’m not sure, maybe it’s expected behaviour in many cases and only your case
> is so special that it looks buggy even if it’s consistent.

I’ve considered it a bug [for several years], and simply worked around it. I’m
glad someone else has found it and reported it — I have always been under too
much pressure to try to create a MWE [i.e., backing out and compressing into a
single file my very extensive \include hierarchy].

> Using \markLengthOn instead of \override MetronomeMark.extra-spacing-width =
> #'(0 . 0) works for me. Would that help in your use case?

I’ve always used that (or the manual equivalent), injected via the
edition-engraver.
Hopefully it works for Saul as well.

Cheers,
Kieren.