Re: Aleatoric Elements with barlines

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Aleatoric Elements with barlines
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 08:18:47 -0800

On 2019-01-07 7:55 am, Reggie wrote:
Hi Aaron thank you for that help. I don't like to use indepedant meters
however since this section I believe should be cadenza for easy input.
However, I add spacer rests like you said but it makes everything way wrong too many repeats and breaks everything. I don't see what you mean to add. Can you give one example of a pairing of spacer and r1* to move one repeat
barline successfully? Many thanks. My error image.  error.png

The article I linked covers more than just meter, specifically it covers how to have independent bar lines. You need to follow it to ensure that your bar lines do not "bleed" into the other staves.

See the following:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\paper { ragged-right = ##f }
\layout {
  \context { \Score
    \remove "Timing_translator"
    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
  }
  \context { \Staff
    \consists "Timing_translator"
    \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"

<< \new Staff \relative c'' {
  \cadenzaOn
  r1*5/4\fermata \bar ".|:"
  < d e f >1\> r1\!\fermata \bar ":|."
  s1*3/4 \bar "||"
}
\new Staff \relative c'' {
  \cadenzaOn
  r1\fermata \bar ".|:"
  < d e f >1\> r1\!\fermata \bar ":|."
  s1 \bar "||"
}
\new Staff \relative c'' {
  \cadenzaOn
  r1*3/4\fermata \bar ".|:"
  < d e f >1\> r1\!\fermata \bar ":|."
  s1*5/4 \bar "||"
} >>
%%%%

Regarding the spacer rests (or actual rests if you wanted them to be printed), the beginning and ending rests must add up to the same total across all staves. So, for the above example, we need the rests to be equivalent to two full measures. In the first staff, scaling the leading rest by 5/4 requires a corresponding scaling of the final spacing rest to 3/4. The middle staff is trivial, and the final staff is just the opposite of the first.

-- Aaron Hill