Re: Emmentaler & friends

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Emmentaler & friends
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:15:40 +0100

Am 15.01.19 um 01:06 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Hi Massimiliano,

Do use 2.19.82. Although it's modestly termed 'unstable', it is actually very very stable. This use of the term unstable is an open source development convention more than anything in the context of lilypond. The lilypodndreleases are remarkably stable in the last couple of years. Invariably when I post such a comment the development team will jump in say but they are unstable. Yes, but they are also publicly available on the website and practice and experience shows that you are pretty safe using them. I hammer 2.19.82 hard all day and can't break it. It has many advantages over 2.18 especially if you are doing the sort of work I imagine you are. Just my A$2 worth.

But these people also point out that the most "unstable" thing about the development releases is the syntax. If you use them you have to be ready to *occasionally* change minor things in the input files, but only in the relatively rare cases where you stumble over them and the really rare cases where convert-ly may not be able to fix them.

From my experience this has no real practical penalty, the only area where I would consider this important would be if you provide some sort of infrastructure where you might want to rely on long-term stability of the syntax, like a web service or an editing infrastructure (and yes, we do have this as an issue in Frescobaldi development that officially supports the "latest stable release" of LilyPond.

Urs

Andrew