Re: System spacing for Certain

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: System spacing for Certain
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:01:37 -0800

On 2019-01-16 4:44 pm, Aaron Hill wrote:
Wow... no wonder you're having trouble.  I just tried to work through
the relevant section of the documentation [1] and found that it
largely does not work as stated.  Well, to be more specific, I could
get some partial results using 2.18.2 via lilybin.com, however my
local copy of 2.19.82 fails to render the examples as documented.
There are definitely some bugs here that need to be addressed, but let
us move that discussion to another thread.

A bit of jumping the gun here on my part. There are some bugs, but not what I originally thought, so this generally falls on user error on my part.

I typically render cropped (-dcrop) PNG output. It would seem that some features of LilyPond do not work in this mode. Explicit positioning seems to require uncropped PDF output to show up.

But the original advice still stands: explicit staff positioning is done via alignment-distances. X-offset, Y-offset, and extra-offset apply only to the system as a whole.

-- Aaron Hill