Re: Pedal gradual release

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Pedal gradual release
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 04:28:25 -0800

On 2019-01-20 3:04 am, Andrew Bernard wrote:
I use a wedge type symbol to indicate gradual release of a piano
pedal. Since this is not built in to lilypond, I developed code like
the following to do the job, using PostScript. I don't mind using
PostScript as I am fluent in it, but objectively, this is terribly
special case code. Is there anybody willing to generalise this and
make it more user friendly for other people who don't necessarily want
to fiddle with PostScript and Reverse Polish Notation when we are just
trying to write piano music.

[ . . . ]

One option would be to exploit a Hairpin:

%%%%
sustainGradualRelease =
  -\tweak shorten-pair #'(0 . 1.35)
  -\tweak height #1
  -\tweak style #'dashed-line
  -\tweak self-alignment-Y #DOWN
  -\tweak to-barline ##f
  -\tweak stencil #(elbowed-hairpin '((0 . 0) (1 . 1)) #f)
  \<

sustainPedal = {
  s4\sustainOn s s\sustainGradualRelease s s s\!\sustainOff
}
%%%%

This is far from ideal, as a hairpin by default will attempt to align to the right extent of the musical column (unless the column has a rest, and then it aligns to the left). The piano bracket aligns to the left, so setting shorten-pair is needed to have the hairpin meet the piano bracket.

You would need to adjust the edge-height of the piano bracket if you want the triangular section to be taller.

-- Aaron Hill