Re: Forcing horizontal space between successive notes

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Forcing horizontal space between successive notes
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 20:15:48 +0100

Hi David,
I have various clunky workarounds for this problem, but I am still
wondering whether there isn't a neater way.

How can one force additional space between 2 successive musical moments
in a score, without affecting the spacing algorithm to the left and
right?  This is occasionally desirable, for instance to leave
horizontal space for some textual instruction or narration.

I have experimented with all sorts of parameters for various items such
as PaperColumn, VerticalAlignment, SpacingSpanner and others, but so
far without any success.

Not perfect, but you could use the fact that in proportional notation it is possible (necessary) to define a factor which basically controls how much the music is going to be stretched:

\version "2.19.82"

\new Staff {
  <<
    {
      \repeat unfold 100 c'16 }

  {
    % Force extension between 1st and 2nd quaver in bar 2
    s1
    \set Score.proportionalNotationDuration = #(ly:make-moment 1/100)
    s8
    \unset Score.proportionalNotationDuration

Increasing the denominator (100 in this case) increases the amount of stretching.

Drawback: Maybe you do not actually want proportional spacing to be used between the musical moments taken as left and right boundary of the area to be stretched. But for me this always was acceptable.

Lukas