Request for contribution: font demonstration examples

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Request for contribution: font demonstration examples
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 09:47:38 +0100

Hi all,

after quite some time doing other stuff I want to return to my work on Frescobaldi's "Show fonts" dialog. I decided to finalize the new dialog for now without providing an extensive interface for automatically choosing music *and* text fonts and producing the code for use in the input file. The dialog will allow copying the incantation to select the chosen music font to the clipboard and that will be it for now. I just have to stop at some point, or I'll never manage to get this feature merged into master ...

Today I'm asking (again) for some contribution of LilyPond files for use in the Show Available Fonts dialog.

The Music Fonts tab allows to compile a) a set of provided samples, b) an arbitrary file and c) the "current document" using any of the installed notation fonts. So far the following files/styles are provided:

  • Bach (piano)
  • Scriabine (piano)
  • Berg (clarinet/piano)
  • Berg (string quartet)

However, the selection of provided samples should cover a possibly wide range of styles, and I would like to add some more examples like e.g.

  • Neumes notation
  • Mensural notation
  • Classical "score" (e.g. an initial system of a Haydn symphony)
  • Contemporary notation (as long as it shows off *glyphs* and not only graphical tools)
    I'm not sure if this can be claimed "fair use", so that should rather be some music that is explicitly sharable.
  • ...

In addition I would like to have one "glyphs sheet" sample. Here you can see a stub of such a file, also as a reminder how that dialog behaves: https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/pull/1075#issuecomment-459260351

Such an example might be organized as a series of \score-s with interspersed \markup-s, it just has to be a self-contained file without a \paper block.

I would be very glad about further contributions (some of the existing samples have been provided by others) so I can concentrate on the actual Frescobaldi coding.

Best
Urs