Re: Configuration Point & Click

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: Configuration Point & Click
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 14:03:47 -0700 (MST)

Thank you both for you help.

Federico Bruni-2 wrote
> How did you install lilypond? From Arch repository? Or from
> lilypond.org installer (the .sh file)?

Yes I did install Lilypond directly through arch repository via pacman. cat
`which lilypond-invoke-editor` returns
#!/usr/bin/guile1.8 -s
!#
;;;; lilypond-invoke-editor.scm -- Invoke an editor in file:line:column mode

Should I uninstall it and make the install differently in order to be able
to call a vim file after clicking on a textedit link?

Federico Bruni-2 wrote
> Please paste the output of these two commands (if you don't have
> /etc/hostname, replace it with another text file you can read):

$ echo $LYEDITOR
vim '+call cursor(%(line)s, %(column)s)' %(file)s

$ xdg-open textedit:///etc/hostname:1:1:2
It is working, writing my hostname in vim.

For a test purpose I tried uninstalling the script
lilypond-invoke-editor.desktop from the manual and then I get the message:
/usr/bin/xdg-open: line 881: x-www-browser : command not found

So my conclusion is that archlinux users would have to follow the Gnome 3
instructions from the documentation.

Federico Bruni-2 wrote
> Same problem here with the swap file. It's the problem we already
> discussed: vim is being opened in a new instance/process/window each
> time you click on the PDF..
> I hoped that clientserver could help, but I cannot make it work. In
> Fedora 29 only gvim has clientserver enabled

Actually I did install vim with the gvim package in order to have a better
implementation of copy/paste buffers. Here is what I get:

$gvim --version | grep clientserver
+clientserver      +job               +perl/dyn          +user_commands
$ vim --version | grep clientserver
+clientserver      +job               +perl/dyn          +user_commands

I'll look into this mode that I don't know in order to see if this can solve
the other part of the problem.

David Wright wrote
> Sorry, but you said you don't use gnome, not that you don't use a DE.
> Yes, you said you use the i3 WM, but AIUI some lightweight DEs allow
> you to choose WMs like i3 (if you don't like stacking WMs).
> I've also ignored whether you run a DM: they too can affect which
> startup files get executed and can make the distinction between
> .bash_profile and .bashrc moot.

I haven't install any DM either. I followed your advice and put "export
EDITOR" and "export LYEDITOR" on my .bashrc instead of bash_profile.