Re: "Well, here's another nice mess I've gotten myself into!" Previously

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: "Well, here's another nice mess I've gotten myself into!" Previously Please test new lilypond installers
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 11:23:35 -0700

Hi, Michael!

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:08 AM Michael Hendry <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2019, at 19:32, Abraham Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi, Michael!
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 10:28 AM Michael Hendry <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 29 Jan 2019, at 19:00, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > If you use alternative notation fonts you have to "install" them for every new LilyPond installation.
>
> [With apologies to Laurel & Hardy].
>
> Having successfully installed 2.21.0, I’ve tried to install Lilyjazz according to the instructions here:
>
> https://github.com/lyp-packages/lilyjazz
>
> <snipped>

> I’m probably missing something obvious - can anyone help, please?
>
> I don't use LYP for personal reasons, but it seems nice. The errors suggest that some of the core functions (e.g., \require, \pinclude, etc.) are not being found, which further suggests that whatever files define those are not in LilyPond's include-path. You'll have to forgive me for not knowing how to fix it since, again, I don't use it, but that should at least point you in the right direction.
>
> The alternative would be to download the lilyjazz files directly from that repo and include them yourself.
>
> HTH,
> Abraham

Thanks, Abraham.

I’ve obviously found a way of installing the lilyjazz fonts in the past, but Googling failed to find a blow-by-blow account of how it should be done, and LYP looked like a good direction to follow.

I’ve tried simply copying the lilyjazz files from Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/fonts/svg and …/otf across from my copy of 2.18.2 (which works with jazz fonts) across to the corresponding locations in 2.21.0, and compiling the same file via Frescobaldi, but I get no staves, only chords and markup.

I’ve decided to abandon LYP - too many aspects I don’t quite understand!

Can you direct me to an idiot’s guide to installing fonts in general, and lilyjazz in particular?

Well, that depends on which phase of existence you're getting the lilyjazz files. In other words, lilyjazz started out as a hack (a great hack, but a hack none the less) that uses .ly files to remap glyphs and literally re-codes up the stencil commands in order to make them work (which is why it can work in 2.18.2 because this version didn't support proper 3rd party music fonts, that didn't happen until 2.19.12). For many things, this is completely satisfactory, but it doesn't and can't handle all glyph substitutions without completely redefining many more stencil commands, which I can imagine was more than Torsten wanted to get into. This appears the be the state that LYP is also pulling from, hence the use of \jazzOn, etc. So, if you want to use these files after manual installation, this LilyPondBlog article should point you in the right direction:

http://lilypondblog.org/2013/09/lilypond-and-lilyjazz/

That's certainly not the end of the story of LilyJAZZ, but it should get you on your way for now.

HTH,
Abraham