Re: text block as spanner

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: text block as spanner
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 07:35:10 -0600

Hello Harm!

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Am Sa., 2. Feb. 2019 um 21:35 Uhr schrieb David Nalesnik
> <address@hidden>:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 2:13 PM Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I forgot to point to a limitation
> > > The provided 'text-spanner->text' doesn't care for line-breaks.
>
> To clarify, 'text-spanner->text' has nothing to do with multiple TextSpanners.
> It's a stencil-override. special line-breaking behaviour is not coded, though.
>
> > There is this: https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg105826.html
>
> Looks we have the same conversation every few years lol

:)

> Your approach is far less invasive, so preferable.
> > Not sure if anything needs to be updated.

Ideally, this sort of thing could be added to the code base to avoid
the tangled history!  I never went further with this because of the
effort to rationalize spanners (GSoc?)  I figured adding something
like this would be like adding balconies onto balconies, or whatever
the architectural analogy would be.

> The fix mentioned here
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-11/msg00016.html
> should be applied, then it still works.
>
> Though, I noticed a little problem here and in scheme-text-spanner
> from our regtests, too:
> Usually one can set the direction via direction-modifiers, i.e. for
> _\startTextSpan the TextSpanner is printed below. This does not work.
>
> The direction may be catched in listener and applied to the grob in
> process-music.
> So I did in the attached file, not sure whether it's the best fix ...

Thank you kindly--I now see all the colored lines in their irrelevant
glory!  I missed the change you mention and would have spent I don't
know how much time looking for a solution.

> Thanks,
>   Harm

Best,
David