Re: Reducing top margin for a single page in a score

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Reducing top margin for a single page in a score
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 10:03:31 -0600

On Mon 04 Feb 2019 at 16:40:57 (+1100), Andrew Bernard wrote:
> I am doing a long string quartet. The full score sits nicely in the middle
> of an A4 landscape page with a generous top margin. But there's a solo
> viola part that's very dense and the staves fill out the whole page very
> tightly right to the bottom, and it looks clumsy because there is lots of
> space at the top margin not able to be utilised.
>
> Is it possible to alter the top margin for just a single page in the midst
> of a score where it is otherwise OK?

I hit a problem like this in one of the first scores I ever set in LP,
where I had extra staves carrying repeated lyrics that just overwhelmed
one page. I took the approach taken by Britten's War Requiem full score
(but not as dramatic) and reduced the global-staff-size a little bit.

As to how I managed that, I just ran the whole document in both sizes
(the pagination happened not to be thrown off) and then spliced the
page from one PDF to the other with pdftk. You could to the same thing
using a second score with different margins. (You might need a couple of
manual pageBreak insertions if the pagination slips.)

Cheers,
David.