Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 12:47:53 -0500

Hi David,

> What do you think the presence or absence of some interface implies?

I think the presence of an interface means a shared behaviour is implied
between grob types which have that interface, the implementation of which is
individually determined for each grob type. For example, I think that all grob
types which share the text-interface have a baseline-skip property that can be
interacted with (where hopefully an implementation of that property for that
grob type has been created, or setting the property will have no effect).

So in my (possibly deeply flawed) grasp of how interfaces work: a
measure-centred-interface might add a centre-in-measure property, which centres
the grob [type] within the current measure; for MMRs that would be set to true
by default, and for other grob types (e.g., NoteColumn or NoteHead) it might be
set to false by default. Overriding that property would then engage whatever
programming was in place to centre the grob.

How far off the mark am I?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer