Harmonics with ottava

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Harmonics with ottava
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:40:07 +0100

Hi List,

I have the following construction:

----------------------
\version "2.19.82"
\relative c, {
\clef "bass_8"
\textLengthOn
  \override Staff.NoteColumn.ignore-collision = ##t
  \override NoteHead.style = #'harmonic-mixed
  <<
    {
      \oneVoice
      eih^\markup { \right-align "Sul D" }--\harmonic
    }
    \\
    {
      \oneVoice
      \tiny
      \override Stem.stencil = ##f
      \override Flag.stencil = ##f
      \override ParenthesesItem.font-size = #0
      { \ottava #1 < \parenthesize ceh'''>4 s }

What I actually want is for the fingered note to appear in the correct location in the staff (so, just above the middle line), and the ottava to apply only to the sounding harmonic note above it in parentheses. This becomes important in higher-order harmonics, where you otherwise have two notes that are separated by two or three octaves and it starts taking up a lot of vertical space.

Is there a way to do this?

(And yes, I know quartertones are technically wrong. This is 1) an example from a Stockhausen piece, and he's a dilettante who never was about correct harmonic representation, and 2) if I were to do it properly I'd need to import all my own custom accidentals as glyphs, and that's way too much work for a musical example of a piece from a composer I clearly loathe)