Re: Configuration Point & Click

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: Configuration Point & Click
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 03:34:09 -0700 (MST)

edes wrote
> it's fairly easy to have basic completion, you just need to define a
> dictionary for lilypond.

Thanks, I'll look into that!

David Wright wrote
> Had you told us why vim is essential, as opposed to gvim?

Because as far as I know, just configure in .bashrc export EDITOR="gvim" is
enough to get P&C working. You don't have to start server-mode, remote, etc.
It is really easier. For vim, you'd have to set-up correctly the LYEDITOR
variable which could be confusing (at least for me it is...)

David Wright wrote
> Does that warp the mouse to the vim window? (I'm not familiar with i3.)

No it doesn't but the window gets the focus and I can then directly write
into the file. Actually the whole purpose of using i3 is avoiding as much as
possible the use of the mouse and you could almost disable the trackpad. The
most important thing for me is the focus, not the fact my mouse jumps into
the vim file.

David Wright wrote
> Is this just opening the appropriate PDF when you press F6 in vim?

Yes precisely.

David Wright wrote
> What does it automate in the file manager? Opening the .ly file in
> vim, or opening the .pdf in zathura?

This allows me to automatically open .ly files in the right server-name
instance of vim in order to get P&C working. I also have added an alias in
.bashrc in order to correctly edit the ly files when opening from a
terminal. But this solution forces users to have only one instance of vim
(with tabs) to edit all the LP files. You can't have several windows with ly
files and P&C working at the same time...

David Wright wrote
> Here, you're double-clicking on a note and vim moves its cursor
> to the corresponding "b", right?

Yes, exactly. But the ly file gets a bit messy because of the
lilypond-invoke-editor line.

David Wright wrote
> Now I'm not sure why you need to start vim in the same xterm that
> started zathura.

Actually, I wanted to configure my system that way:
  1. I open a ly file in order to edit it
  2. I f I want to visualize the output, I can simply open the corresponding
PDF in another window by directly pressing a shortcut (F6 was already
pre-configured by default)
  3. I can click on the PDF and the cursor goes at the right position in the
ly file.

That is the reason why I call zathura from within vim. But I understand your
point and where the problem is. As zathura and vim are sharing the same
terminal, lilypond-invoke-editor message from zathura will appear in my vim
file...

So it would seem a better way to configure that would be to set a shortcut
which first opens a new terminal and then launch zathura within... I'll try
to figure this out, right now I don't know how to achieve that...

Valentin Villenave-3 wrote
> This is completely off-topic, but: what’s that tiling environment
> you’re using? It looks neat! Is that pseudo-transparency or
> compositing? (I used to be a ratpoison user, but I switched to sway
> for the past few years.)
>
> By the way, if you speak French, feel free to join our dedicated ML if
> you haven’t:
> (we’re also setting up casual `LilyPond Café’ meetings in Paris
> starting in a few weeks).

As Aaron guessed, I've installed i3-gaps and the transparency of the
terminal or whatever window in i3 is managed with compton. Top bar is
polybar for now.

And yes I'm french :) Unfortunately, too far from Paris to join you (too
bad, I would have really liked that, it is a terrific idea). I haven't
subscribed yet to the french list but I sure will!
I don't know abroad, but I'm a bit despair to see that french musicians who
are using LP are really too few in regard of the quality of that software.
Actually, I'm thinking making some presentations of LP for my colleagues or
even working on some training for music students... I have some ideas, I'll
sure have to start a thread about that and get some advices...