Re: Lead sheets: lyrics and chords, no melody?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Lead sheets: lyrics and chords, no melody?
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 21:40:09 -0800

On 2019-03-02 8:51 pm, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
I have a guitarist who is afraid of written music.  (That is a
conversation for another day — suffice to say, I’m working on it.)

I’d like to produce what he’s used to: lyrics with chords above them.
(See _Rise Up Singing_ or a thousand other songbooks for examples.)  I
have many songs set in LilyPond already, with chords and lyrics
aligned to the melody.  If I can suppress the melody staff, but keep
the chords and lyrics aligned to them, that would be ideal.  Something
like <URL:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/snippets/chords#chords-simple-lead-sheet
> but without the melody staff.

It’s probably a visibility property setting (obviously, the melody
needs to be there to align the lyrics to; I’d prefer not to have to go
in an insert explicit durations for every single syllable, when the
current alignment is just fine...)

I’m groveling through the internals reference now, but maybe someone
has a snippet to share?

It is a messy hack, but here is something:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

\layout {
  \context { \Staff
    \omit StaffSymbol
    \omit Clef
    \omit KeySignature
    \omit TimeSignature
    \omit BarLine
    \omit LedgerLineSpanner

    % Cannot \omit as it causes errors with slur attachment.
    \hide NoteHead
    \omit Beam
    \omit Stem
    \omit Rest
    \omit Slur
    \omit Tie
  }
  \context { \ChordNames
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing =
      #'((basic-distance . 0) (minimum-distance . 0)
         (padding . -3) (stretchability . 0))
  }
  \context { \Lyrics
    \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing =
      #'((basic-distance . 0) (minimum-distance . 0)
         (padding . -3) (stretchability . 0))
    \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT

<<
  \chords { c2 g:sus4 f e }
  \relative c'' {
    a4 e c8 e r4
    b2 c4( d)
  }
  \addlyrics { One day this shall be free __ }

%%%%

My goal was to leave the lead sheet snippet from the docs intact and do everything with \layout. There are probably other grobs that will need \omitting depending on your music. Spacing will almost certainly require tweaking to work. I also opted to left-align the lyrics to match the chords, as the alignment looks better without the notes.

-- Aaron Hill