Dynamics offset suddenly changes

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Dynamics offset suddenly changes
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 20:48:07 +1100

I have a score with a lot of dynamics, a string quartet. There is more or less a continuum of dynamics and hairpins for each instrument. I am not using a dynamics context as the complexity of the music and rhythms makes it very tedious to figure out all the spacer rests that would be need. It's more pragmatic to attach the dynamics to the notes for this particular work. Generally in the score all the dynamics and hairpins line up nicely without me having to adjust them, only occasionally. But now that I have over 100 pages, more and more often hairpins that go over the page break and should join to a \p or \f etc on the next page are completely out of alignment. It's as though the hairpin cannot see the ending dynamic indication.

is there a reason for this, and is there a fix?

Refer to the attached image for an example.

Andrew