Re: Bach, beams, and benchmarks

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Bach, beams, and benchmarks
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:13:43 -0600

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 7:43 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Abraham Lee <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, David!
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 8:38 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here's my first page of this piece.
>>
>> I'd have been interested in the second one, the multi-string passages
>> close to the end.  Since there are fingerings in your page, you are
>> obviously not writing an Urtext.
>>

> Most definitely not. I am also not a string player, so you'll have to
> forgive the fingering. I was merely copying this from another source as an
> exercise.
>
> Anyway, see the attached PDF which includes both pages. Hopefully that
> satisfies your interests.

Yes, thanks.  I should mention that "copying this from another source"
is a bad idea _unless_ you are creating an Urtext since things like the
fingering are copyrighted (except for quite old editions).

You'll get no argument from me about this. It was purely an educational exercise for me at the time I created it and nothing more. I can't argue any which way for the "goodness" of the edition's fingering I copied from (I think it was even from a couple of sources), so please feel free to ignore them as they bear no importance to the discussion of the OP's specific request here, but thanks for the feedback. I will keep it in mind.

Best,
Abraham