Re: 3/4 time suddenly become 5/8 time for one measure?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: 3/4 time suddenly become 5/8 time for one measure?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 15:34:57 -0700

On 2019-03-30 3:20 pm, Aaron Feldman wrote:
GNU LilyPond 2.18.2

running on Ubuntu 18.04
Compiling as text with no gui
In measure 29 the tempo changes to 5/8 time for no reason when I
continue with 8th notes. Please note that the line that reads   \set
Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3/4)   was my attempt to fix
it. That did not help, exactly the same result with, or without it.

Any help greatly appreciated.  This is the first time I have contacted
the lilypond list.

[ . . . ]

Please be sure to post complete minimal working examples (MWEs). Your code you posted omitted two closing braces. Also, be sure to look for any warnings emitted by LilyPond--in this case, "warning: Ignoring non-music expression". Your use of #(set-global-staff-size) should appear at the top-level, not within music.

But most importantly here, bar checks will be your friend. If you were using them, you would have discovered the issue:

You have an eighth note followed by a dotted half. That is too much to fit in a single measure, however LilyPond will attempt to draw what you ask it to.

But that means the next measure "starts" on moment 1/8, so it only appears to hold five eighth notes.

-- Aaron Hill