Re: MIDI instrument for oboe d'amore

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: MIDI instrument for oboe d'amore
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 11:53:06 -0700

On 2019-04-29 9:28 am, Jacques Menu wrote:
Hello,

I find oboe and french horn, but no oboe d’amore in A.6 MIDI instruments.
Which other setting can I use for this instrument in A?

General MIDI does not define such an instrument in the standard, and neither did GS nor XG. In fact, the reed section of GM Level 2 has no extended patches at all. (GS and XG do have variations like the "bass clarinet" and some alternate saxophone patches.)

While it would not be standards-compliant, you could certainly select an alternate bank for the oboe patch with the intention that it means an oboe d'amore. For your own usage, it would require you to manually configure your synth to load a suitable sound for the instrument. For other folks using your MIDI file, their synths should fall back using a standard oboe patch which might work, except for lower notes that could be outside the playable range.

From what I understand, an oboe d'amore has a timbre between the normal oboe and the cor anglais. What I would do in my virtual instrument software is load up an oboe patch but then apply some EQ to soften the sound a bit so it is not quite as assertive. For the fact that the playable range is lower, I might also need to mix in a little of the English horn patch to fill out the lower notes, which will require blending to balance the timbre. But it must be noted that this work is beyond the scope of MIDI.

There’s no clarinet in A either.

For better or worse, a "clarinet in A" is simply a clarinet as far as General MIDI is concerned. In MIDI you typically specify the pitch you want played, not the note that is written that may sound higher or lower depending on the instrument. As such, MIDI note 60 would most often refer to the equal-tempered middle C whose fundamental is approximately 261.63 Hz, and one should expect that any GM-compliant synth to render the pitch properly. That said, I have encountered some sound libraries that intentionally transpose samples from their nominal pitches; and that requires manually transposing a MIDI track to compensate. I dislike this practice as it is not very portable.

-- Aaron Hill