Re: Colored box behind a single note

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Colored box behind a single note
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 13:57:18 +0200 (CEST)

>>> Seriously?  C++ has loops, you don't need goto for that.
>>
>> What construction do you suggest as a replacement?
>
> A loop?

Well, yes.  However, everything seems quite inelegant and bloated to
me in comparison to this simple `goto' [and I don't think that such a
local `goto' is something to be avoided at all costs].

In other words, I would be really thankful for replacement
suggestions.

>> I have no idea what you are talking about.  What is not coherent in
>> your opinion?  You don't like the
>>
>>   c'4\startGroup\stopGroup
>>
>> construction?  For me this looks like a quite natural extension
>> (which, I guess, most of us have tried already) – at least for
>> horizontal brackets.
>
> Can you describe in a short paragraph what constructs are allowed,
> what results are expected, and what constructs may be processed but
> deliver a warning?  That's sort of what defines a feature.

In NR, there is

  Analysis brackets
  -----------------

  Brackets are used in musical analysis to indicate structure in
  musical pieces.  Simple horizontal brackets are supported.

  <example>

  Analysis brackets may be nested.

  <example>

I would only add

  It is possible to start and end a bracket at the same musical
  moment.

  <example>

to the documentation.  It would be nice to also have a reference to
`ColorSpanDef.ily' and an example how to use it, but this would rather
be a link to the (external) LSR snippet.

For the implementation, it seems obvious to me that it doesn't make
sense to have more than one single-moment bracket per voice at a given
moment.  AFAICS, excessive numbers of \startGroup and \stopGroup
events are already properly handled (and ignored).

    Werner