Re: Horizontal spacing algorithm

From: Chad Linsley
Subject: Re: Horizontal spacing algorithm
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 19:03:32 -0400

Hi Simon,

Hardly an assertion when I used brackets and a question mark around the word “simple”. Anyway, the paper points out that Lilypond uses a version of Gourlay’s algorithm which works great except in examples like the ones he gives (polyrhythms). I’m aware that you can use proportional notation and uniform stretching to fix these examples. However, I find it interesting that the proposed solution incorporates what Lilypond actually does already (which is why it might not be as complicated as it seems). Am I the only one that is curious about this? Why does the horizontal spacing of the now-ancient SCORE software still look so good (in my opinion)?