Re: Suppress Volta Starting Repeat

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Suppress Volta Starting Repeat
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 13:13:14 -0700

On 2019-08-26 12:28 pm, keith Luke wrote:
 I would like to suppress the repeat sign in the measure preceding the
first ending.

You should be able to explicitly specify the bar line using the \bar command:

%%%%
  \repeat volta 2 { \bar "|" g1~ }
%%%%

But the question I have is: why would you want to do this? Without the repeat start sign, how is the performer to know where to go back after the first volta? The only time I know such an indicator can be omitted is the very beginning of a piece, but your \repeat section does not begin the score.

The real solution is to use the \repeat command precisely at the moment when the repeated section of music begins. Then there is no need to suppress anything, and your syntax will accurately reflect the musical content.

-- Aaron Hill