Re: Cross-"fertilization" between Dynamics w/ Lyrics and Keep_alive_toge

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Cross-"fertilization" between Dynamics w/ Lyrics and Keep_alive_together_engraver
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 10:20:52 -0400

Hi Rutger,

> What setting can I apply to get correct horizontal spacing in the second case?

One possibility:

        \new GrandStaff \with {
            \consists Keep_alive_together_engraver
            \override LyricText.extra-spacing-width = #empty-interval
        } <<

Not a big fan of this whole approach, though…

> Rationale: I use this Lyrics tric in my MarkLines to create a spanner with
> the spanner elements at specific times, and also at a fixed vertical offset.
> I cannot use David Nalesnik's textSpannerInnerTexts because their spacing of
> the words doesn't depend on the musical time. I cannot use multiple
> TextSpanners, because (at least in parts with few or no notes) the vertical
> offset of the texts is not constant: I saw situations where they are stacked
> 3 high.

Use extra-spacing-height and -width (and related properties and macros) to
force horizontal shifting — that will correct the stacking problem.
Then you’ll be using TextSpanners (as you should be) rather than [overloading]
Lyrics.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him)