Re: Detecting first and last pages of a score

From: Leah Velleman
Subject: Re: Detecting first and last pages of a score
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 07:51:38 -0400

> To do what?

So here's the situation.

I'm writing a template for collections of Sacred Harp–style songs. (Templates for individual songs already exist, but not openly available ones that handle an entire collection.)

In this tradition, when a song runs over a page break, "SONGTITLE Continued" or "SONGTITLE Concluded" is written at the top of the page. I want to automate this.

But I can't make each song its own bookpart. This is because, unlike bookparts, songs in this tradition don't always start with new pages, but can begin and end in mid-page.

I believe this means each song needs to be its own score. And as far as I can tell, that means that in order to automatically generate those "Continued" and "Concluded" headers, we need to know when we're on the non-first page of a score, and when we're on the last page.

(I could, of course, hard-code all the line breaks, all the page breaks, and all the headers. But I prefer not to do this: I want collaborators to be able to typeset individual songs without knowing in advance where on the page those songs will start in the finished book.)