Can Lilypond be tweaked to make a really kid friendly notation like this

From: Warren Wilkinson
Subject: Can Lilypond be tweaked to make a really kid friendly notation like this?
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 17:30:36 -0700

Here is the sort of output I want to generate.  The staff lines and spaces have been replaced by solid bands of color.  The text is placed on the line itself and the text colors are based on the note.

My question is, can Lilypond be coerced into doing this? I'm a professional Lisp Programmer by trade, so I don't mind getting my hands too dirty.  It would be nice if the coloring choices were automatic, but manual is fine too.  Or would it be easier to just do this in Gimp?

(Image also available here: https://www.bcclimate.ca/canlilyponddothis.png)
canlilyponddothis.png

Cheers,
Warren Wilkinson