Re: Proportional notation not working as expected.

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Proportional notation not working as expected.
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 10:51:36 +1000

Hi Stefano,

I work extensively with a New Complexity School composer whose work I engrave. I disagree with one of his major concepts, which is that the bars should be 3.0 cm wide and represent one second of music. He's really insistent on this. Personally I don't believe this helps the musicians at all, and music is not graph paper as far as I am concerned, speaking as a player.

I have tried for years to make equal, fixed width bars with proportional notation in Lilypond. With his music changing time signature sometimes every bar, I am utterly unable to achieve what he wants. The requirement is simple - fixed width bars of a specified size.

I have a vague idea that this concept goes completely against the design of the lilypond layout engine, and so it may be stupid to even want this. But much as I disagree with the musical justification for this, this topic does keep coming up on this list from time to time from others also.

Can somebody with deeper knowledge say if this is a forlorn hope? The beauty of Lilypond is its magnificent layout engine, but perhaps the designers never imagined composers would want fixed width bars, and so it can't be done. I don't know.

Andrew