Re: Horizontal Slurs (was Re: (no subject))

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Horizontal Slurs (was Re: (no subject))
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 10:23:25 -0700

On 2019-09-24 9:35 am, Urs Liska wrote:
Is there any reason why the slrus in the attached example come out the
way they do (i.e. so horizontal, with the left edge being so far away
from the notehead)?

Seems to be a combination of slurring identical pitches and the articulation on the one note. If you remove the staccato, the slur sits reasonably close. If you change either pitch, then the slur behaves more normally.

%%%%
\version "2.19.83"

{ a'8._( a'16_.) \bar "||"
  a'8._( a'16) b'8._( a'16_.) a'8._( b'16_.) }
%%%%

What would be the best way to deal with that? Of course I could \shape
them individually, but there's a lot of them in the scores, so I'd
prefer a *setting* to be applied.

Adjusting edge-attraction-factor seems to help, but be careful with too high a value as it collides with the articulation:

%%%%
\version "2.19.83"

{ \once \override Slur.details.edge-attraction-factor = #38
  a'8._( a'16_.)
  \once \override Slur.details.edge-attraction-factor = #48
  a'8._( a'16_.)
  \once \override Slur.details.edge-attraction-factor = #58
  a'8._( a'16_.) }
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill