Re: Attach a debugger to LilyPond

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: Attach a debugger to LilyPond
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 14:07:45 -0400

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:32 PM Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

thanks for the comments.

25. September 2019 11:30, "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden> schrieb:

> Hi Urs,
>
> I am the most ignorant of all when it comes to lilypond internal
> processing, but I recall in the past when I have tried to put diagnostic
> print statements in Scheme inside music functions that they come out of
> order sometimes in unpredictable ways. I recall DK pointing out that the
> function in question for that one operation gets called repeatedly as
> the code is parsed and compiled and the layout engine does its passes
> and print statements don't therefore work in a nice straightforward
> linear order, and can be very misleading. I may have the details wrong
> here, and I cant remember the specific problem I was using the function
> for, but I mention this to say that debugging Scheme inside Frescobaldi
> may be fraught with deep complexity. I don't know, but I would be
> worried. I'd like for somebody enlightened in these matters to comment.
> [I am happy for this to be dismissed as nonsense!]

I *think* what you're referring to is the fact that when you do print debugging with Scheme's "display" or related functions their output will come much later than anticipated. OTOH if you issue ly:message (and related procedures) the printing will be done immediately and is definitely sufficient for print debugging.

However, this is of course unrelated to an actual debugger with the idea of stepping through the code of a LilyPond input file, and any information would be appreciated.

This is not nonsense, for the end user stepping through Scheme for debugging would be an advantage.   Also stepping through other Scheme code could help you understand wright your own similar code.
This i do not know  about,  but for the developer I assume there are IDE's that would work for the C++ code in Lilypond.
 My 3¢

Thank you,
ƒg

Urs