Re: Why does skip cause extender line to grow?

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Re: Why does skip cause extender line to grow?
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 09:16:27 -0500

On 10/8/19 1:58 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Patrick,

I don't understand why the extender includes the d4 in the third measure.
Because you didn’t tell it to stop extending.  ;)
I thought the single "__" initiated an extender that ended either at the end of the current note, in the case of a sequence of tied notes (which creates a single note), or at the end of the slur if a slur starts on the current note.  If that's true, then, since the initial c1 can't be and isn't tied to the d4 and the initial c1 is not slurred to the d4,  I had in effect told it to stop extending.  If I wanted the extender to include the d4, I would (should) have written the extender as "__ _".  And for some reason that I can't find explained in the Notation RM, LilyPond evidently assumed that that ("__ _") is what I had written.

Is there a way to shorten it to the tied c1 in the second measure?
How’s this?

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.83"
music = \relative c' {
    c1 ~ c1
    d4 e f g }

words = \lyricmode {  Tra __  la la la la }

\score { \new Staff \new Voice \music \addlyrics \words }
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

If you really want a gap [under the d], then use

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.83"
music = \relative c' {
    c1 ~ c1
    d4 e f g }

words = \lyricmode {  Tra __  \markup \null la la la }

\score { \new Staff \new Voice \music \addlyrics \words }
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

Hope that helps!
Yes, it helps a lot.  Thanks.
Kieren.