Re: LilyPond, LilyPond snippets and the GPL

From: Karsten Reincke
Subject: Re: LilyPond, LilyPond snippets and the GPL
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 11:30:36 +0100

On Wed, 2019-10-30 at 00:55 +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 10/29/19, 5:46 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Karsten Reincke <address@hidden> wrotes:
>
>    [...]
>     >
>     > [4] But if a GPL licensed LilyPond snippet is used by another LilyPond
>     > code (either by a functional call into the included snippet or by
>     > literally copying the snippet into the other code), then the copyleft
>     > effect of the GPL is triggered.
>     >
>     [...]
>
>     I disagree with your assessment that calling any code/function makes the
>     work doing so a derivative of that code (that would concern using
>     OpenLilyLib code).  I do agree that including/using/changing LSR
>     snippets as part of your work means deriving from them.  That's why I
>     would agree that using the GPL for the LSR snippets would not be
>     desirable since it would introduce a licensing regime where it seems
>     exaggerated.
>
> I agree with this comment only to the extent that you are distributing the
> source code for your music.  If you only distribute the PDF and/or MIDI
> output,
> the GPL does not apply, according to the FSF:
>
> " In what cases is the output of a GPL program covered by the GPL too?
> (#WhatCaseIsOutputGPL)
> The output of a program is not, in general, covered by the copyright on the
> code
> of the program. So the license of the code of the program does not apply to
> the
> output, whether you pipe it into a file, make a screenshot, screencast, or
> video.

Many thanks for your comment. It contains an important hint. BUt it is a bit
apart
from my crucial point:

I am not arguing that my LilyPond work (or a snippet) is covered by the GPL
because it is 'executed' by LilyPond. I argue that my code is covered by the GPL
if I use (include or copy) a GPL licensed snippet. And if it is covered, then in
accordance to the GPL §6 (title: "Conveying Non-Source Forms") also the compiled
version is covered by the GPL. (BTW: even a picture is binary code which is
interpreted)

Nevertheless, I would be happy if the statement you quoted would be judically
approved! But as long as we do not have such a legal descision there is a great
risk that my scientific and artistical music work can freely be used due to the
fact that I used a GPL licensed snippet for ceating the music scores - a risk,
which I don't want to take.

But even if I agreed with your position, then we both still have to conlude,
that
we can only distribute / hand over our LilyPond code under the terms of the GPL,
if our code used a GPL licensed snippet. And even this is a strong side effect.

with best regards Karsten

--
  Karsten Reincke    /\/\   (+49|0) 170 / 927 78 57
 Im Braungeröll 31   >oo<  mailto:address@hidden