Re: English Version of Functional Harmony Analysis Symbols

From: Gregory Hollands
Subject: Re: English Version of Functional Harmony Analysis Symbols
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 21:17:29 -0400

I believe these are called Scaled Degrees in English. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_(music)

I'm not sure how they correspond with the Reimannian names, but here they are:
 1 - Tonic
 2 - Supertonic
 3 - Mediant
 4 - Subdominant
 5 - Dominant
 6 - Submediant
b7 - Subtonic
 7 - Leading tone
 8 - Tonic

The problem with this method is that there's only one name for both b2 and 2, as well as b3 and 3, and also b6 and 6. Sometimes people use Tritone for b5, but I'm not sure if that's part of this naming scheme.

Hope this helps,
-Greg

Dear Sam
I an looking for the Riemannian approach. Can you help me?