Re: flats and sharps as symbols in a lyric text

From: Saul Tobin
Subject: Re: flats and sharps as symbols in a lyric text
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 16:14:58 -0800

It bugs me a bit that macros are needed to tweak the spacing of accidental symbols in markup. Shouldn't the default markup commands for accidental symbols have correct size and spacing?

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 4:02 PM Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Saul (et al.),

> I usually just type the accidental signs as Unicode characters. I find the sizing and alignment works better than with the Lilypond markup commands.

Personally, I find the Unicode symbols unattractive, so I prefer to use Lilypond. Sizing and alignment are easily tweaked by predefining macros:

\version "2.19.83"

textFlat = \markup \raise #0.4 \fontsize #-2 { \hspace #0.0875 \flat }
textNatural = \markup \raise #0.625 \fontsize #-2 { \hspace #0.175 \natural }
textSharp = \markup \raise #0.75 \fontsize #-2 { \hspace #0.1 \sharp }

\markup \concat { B \textFlat " is one semitone below " B \textNatural ", and two semitones below " B \textSharp }

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info