Re: How stable is 2.21?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: How stable is 2.21?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 15:06:08 +0100

Hi Peter,

Am 10.11.19 um 13:04 schrieb Peter Toye:

I'm asking because I need to assemble a score with different staff sizes (page-turning issues in piano music) and the bug I asked about yesterday is reportedly corrected. But I hate working with unstable software - I wrote enough of that in my programming days :)  And even more debugging someone else's software (reason - ditto).

That's actually two questions:

- 2.18.2 or 2.19.83: The "unstable" versions that can be downloaded are perfectly suitable for everyday use and no more unstable than lots of other regularly released tools. It's more appropriate, I think, to read unstable as "subject to change before the next regular release (concerning features, syntax etc.)" than to read it as "might cause crashes".

- 2.21: This does not exist as a release, yet may be compiled from source. Of course, the degree of stable-ness might vary here on a day-to-day basis, but I often switch between 2.19.83 and current master in my work, and I never encountered any difficulties.

Bottom line: There's no need ever to use 2.18.2 nowadays, I think. But I agree that compiling from source is not what everybody is willing to do.

Concerning the bug regarding note-heads on the wrong side of the stem: I fixed this a few months ago, but the fix needs recompilation of LilyPond (it's not just in the SCM files that might be modified manually).

Which operating system are you on? For Linux, it might be quite easy to create an executable for you (either current master or some cherry-picked version "2.19.83 plus fix of the notehead-wrong-side-bug).

Best
Lukas