Re: \epsfile

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: \epsfile
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 11:02:52 +0100

Am 15.11.19 um 10:56 schrieb Malte Meyn:

Am 15.11.19 um 10:47 schrieb Martin Tarenskeen:
I am experimenting with the \epsfile command to include various pictures in my score. http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/graphic.en.html describes:

  \epsfile axis (number) size (number) file-name (string)
     Inline an EPS image. The image is scaled along axis to size.

I don't quite understand what "axis (number)" means and how it works. I can reproduce the examples, using my own images, but would like to understand the values better.

size gives the height *or* width of the image, depending on axis which should be set to #X (for height) or #Y.

X and Y are speaking variable names for the numbers 0 and 1 (which you can verify through

#(display Y)

), hence the docstring.

Related issue: When using frescobaldi the syntax help and autocompletion balloon gives "\eps-file" instead of "\epsfile". A little bug?

Seems so, yes. IIUC it has been \epsfile for at least a very long time (f. e. version 2.7.30) if not ever so Frescobaldi is wrong here.

... which is of course possible but somehow surprising. AFAIK Frescobaldi's "knowledge" about LilyPond's syntax is retrieved automatically, although I don't recall whether that involves parsing the documentation or running LilyPond itself.

What *is* known is that Frescobaldi's autocompletion works on the 2.18 syntax because it's official policy to support the "latest stable release". We have agreed upon the idea that it would be better to support both the current stable and development releases but so far noone has found the time to implement that.

It should not be *that* complicated, so any volunteers are encouraged to step forward ;-)

Best
Urs