Re: Piano pedal gradual release

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Piano pedal gradual release
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 10:24:30 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Bernard" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 12:20 AM
Subject: Piano pedal gradual release

I wonder if it is possible to indicate piano pedal gradual release off,
and gradual on, using curves? Please refer to attached shots of MS.

We have been able to do great things with pedal lines before in response
my requests, such as continuation arrows and other decorations (now in
openlilylib). So I hope our resident masters may have some ideas.

Andrew

What on earth does a gradual piano pedal release achieve? Either the dampers are touching the strings or they're not, so it's in effect a binary choice. So a gradual release simply makes the time the sustain ends somewhat arbitrary.

--
Phil Holmes