Re: Poster for music engraving conference

From: David Menéndez Hurtado
Subject: Re: Poster for music engraving conference
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 19:44:03 +0100

Hi,

I have some experience making posters for conferences, so I will share in case anyone is up for stepping up.

For a conference, you want to focus the poster in one single idea that you want the reader to take home. What drew me to Lilypond was the essay, so that is what I would turn into a poster: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/essay-big-page.html
It is visual, straightforward, and a good case for Lilypond.

Once you have grabbed someone's attention, you may include one or two side stories. This must be short and sweet, but feel free to go into technical details. For example, the ability to engrave Gregorian chant, the possibility of arbitrarily expand it with Scheme code, or that you can write the notes in any language (yay! I don't have to spend time thinking what note D is!).

The poster shouldn't necessarily stand on its own if someone is willing to be there during the poster session to explain and expand. You definitely don't want to put a cheat sheet or a manual because no one is going to learn Lilypond at the poster session, the goal is to make it memorable so they go home and learn it. Snippets are fine, but completeness is not required nor desirable. A personal workflow can be useful on the side, for someone already familiar with Lilypond or convinced of its coolness.

Re-reading my email I realised I may sound a bit too harsh, so please do not take it badly, it wasn't meant like that. I have been to plenty of conferences with professional scientists, that are supposed to do this for a living, with terrible terrible posters. The result is that people just gloss over, and only the two people that were already interested (and likely knew the project) ever talk about it. Also, in an engineering students recruiting fair, I saw plenty of posters that seemed aimed at investors, so recruiters seem to be bad at this too. There are very few good examples to learn from in the wild.

I hope this helps.

/David.

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 15:10, <address@hidden> wrote:
Werner:
> the music engraving conference in Salzburg (January 17.-19.) aims to
> present as much note engraving programs as possible.  While some
> companies send representatives (e.g., Dorico, Capella, Finale) – some
> even with talks – we don't have something similar for LilyPond in the
> main part of the conference.
>
> Instead, we would like to have a poster (in A0 format) that shows how
> LilyPond works, together with some showcase results.
>
> Now my question: Are there people who are willing to produce such a
> poster?  Has anyone already done something similar for other
> conferences?

I could do a poster about my workflow and what features it brings me.
I'd also much like to attend but I cannot afford the travel expenses.

Regarding lilypond in general I dont know what that kind of poster
would contain, the lerning manual in a poster format ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar