Re: Place a markup string at the right of a notehead

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Place a markup string at the right of a notehead
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 14:58:12 +0000

From: Paolo Pr <address@hidden>
Date: Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 5:54 PM
To: lilypond-user <address@hidden>
Subject: Place a markup string at the right of a notehead

Hello.

I can't find an easy way to place a markup string exactly at the right of a notehead so they appear horizontally aligned. The only apparent way to obtain that is the trial-and-error procedure.

This can be very frustrating because I have to compile the input several times.

A work-around would be to replace the notehead's stencil with the notehead+text, but it doesn't convince me and it causes spacing issues with groups of notes.

Is there a simpler way to solve this?

In my opinion you will need to create a new type of Grob, and create an engraver for it.  It could be a scheme engraver.  LilyPond has the concept of text in a notehead, and text above or below a note+stem combination, but there is no traditional musical element that is aligned directly beside a notehead.  Hence the need for a new engraver.

This seems strange, since it would be so easy to do in a graphical interface program, but that’s one of the strengths of LilyPond.  If you get the music semantically right, the graphics happen almost by magic.  So to do what you want, you need to add the semantics to LilyPond.

Carl