Re: lyluatex and HarfBuzz (was: Complex/Large Lilypond projects and buil

From: Rembrandt Wolpert
Subject: Re: lyluatex and HarfBuzz (was: Complex/Large Lilypond projects and build automation)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 04:57:38 -0700 (MST)

Sorry, I didn't receive your replies, maybe because I seem to have lost my
subscription to this list, but I am back on now...

Here's my environment:

I am on an up-to-date (08-12-1919) texlive system installed on a Mac running
High Sierra.

My LilyPond tells me that it is GNU LilyPond 2.19.83.

"Coming upgrade" should be perhaps update? my misnomer; it refers to the
announcement that from texlive 2020 luatex (and with it lualatex,
luajittex,...) will be luahbtex/luahblatex. Updates in texlive via tlmgr
already perform all the necessary formatting etc.

On Macs luahblatex is called (until texlive 2020 becomes official) as
lualatex-dev. The present version I use is:

This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.11.2 (TeX Live 2020/dev)  (format=lualatex-dev
2019.12.5)  7 DEC 2019 23:05
 system commands enabled.

there is no surprise that

| This is LuaTeX, Version 1.10.0 (TeX Live 2019)  (format=lualatex 2019.8.8)

does not work: the [Renderer=...] option did not yet exist in LuaTeX Version
1.10.0.

luaotfload from version 3.1 (TeXLive 2019, 10.11.2019) already supports for
the Renderer options `Harfbuzz`, `OpenType`, `AAT`, and `Graphite` under
luahbtex (not under luatex-without-the-hb)

texlive updates include now the "-dev" versions for the "upcoming upgrade
(to texlive 2020)" (as in latex-dev, pdflatex-tex, lualatex-dev,...)

The reason why I am using the development version is because my book with
many hundreds of musical notations (longer ones and snippets) will
definitely be after texlive 2020 comes out, and my *text* benefits from (in
the case of non-Western scripts, requires...) the use of the "Renderer..."
option.

The "minimal" example was compiled with:

bash>  lualatex-dev --shell-escape lyminimal.tex

setting: \setmainfont[Renderer=Harfbuzz]{TeX Gyre Schola} fails
setting: \setmainfont{TeX Gyre Schola} succeeds.

Using lilypond-book and then compiling with lualatex-dev and
\setmainfont[Renderer=Harfbuzz]{TeX Gyre Schola} succeeds.

It is the "Renderer=..."-option which throws lyluatex, regardless of the
chosen engine. Any other traditional options are fine. (E.g. a convoluted
"\setmainfont[Microtype,ItalicFont={Trinite No2 Italic Cond},
                        BoldFont={Trinite No2 Roman Cond}]{Trinite No2 Roman
Cond}")

Glad to give any other information I can - lyluatex really simplified my
life enormously! Thank you for it! And I'd like to stick with it!

Rembrandt