Running LilyPond on Amazon Linux 2

From: Peter Anglea
Subject: Running LilyPond on Amazon Linux 2
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 12:07:55 -0500

I’ve been running LilyPond on AWS Lambda for some time now, but recently have
been forced to upgrade my runtime from Node 8.x to Node 12.x due to Node 8.x
becoming deprecated. However, in my testing, LilyPond does not work in either
the Node 10.x or Node 12.x runtimes. I get the following error:

lilypond: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open

Note: I have been using the binary for GNU/Linux 64: LilyPond 2.19.83-1

From what I can tell, the difference is that AWS Lambda’s Node 12.x runtime
uses the “Amazon Linux 2” distro instead of regular “Amazon Linux” distro used
with the Node 8.x runtime. Also, my research seems to indicate the error is
related to Amazon Linux 2 using a different version of openssl from before… but
that’s about the limit of what I understand.

Is anyone else successfully running LilyPond on AWS Lambda Node 12.x? Is there
another binary better suited to that particular distro? Any other suggestions
for overcoming the error message above?

Thanks in advance for any help. I’m kinda stuck here, but this mailing list has
proven helpful many times, so… fingers crossed! :)