Re: Shift up OttavaBracket

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Shift up OttavaBracket
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 03:16:18 +0000

From: Paolo Prete <address@hidden>
Date: Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 7:31 PM
To: Aaron Hill <address@hidden>
Cc: lilypond-user <address@hidden>

As said in the first post staff-padding seems to have the same problem of Y-offset:

outside-staff-padding does the job only if reset; see:

Then I would consider this a bug. At least one property of OttavaBracket should behave like extra-offset concerning the starting offset.

I disagree with this statement.  You are trying to mix automatic placement with manual placement, but then get the benefits of manual placement.  This is inconsistent with the basic design of LilyPond.

Notes we can offset, because they have standard positions determined based on their pitches and their rhythmic position.  The other items move to avoid collisions based on penalties.  This is the fundamental operation mode of lilypond.

It appears that what you are asking is to calculate a position based on penalties, then add an offset, then run through the collision-avoidance algorithm again, which will then move things around based on penalties.  Then you need to add an offset again from the automatically-calculated position, and you end up with an infinite loop.

Extra-offset is provided to allow you to specify an exact amount of shift.  But when you do so, you are responsible for managing collisions.

If you want to move things around during automatic placement, the appropriate lilypond way to do it is to change the parameters that lead to spacing (e.g. padding, priority, etc.).  But you still get the automatic placement.

I think you are trying to misuse LilyPond, and I don’t agree that it should be rewritten to support manual placement.  But I would not object to somebody allowing such functionality, as long as it didn’t break the existing functionality.  IMO, the reason I use and contribute to LilyPond is because it does such a good job of handling things automatically.

Thanks,

Carl