Re: Shift up OttavaBracket

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Shift up OttavaBracket
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 12:19:16 -0600

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 12:07 PM Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> > The OttavaBracket is already pretty well positioned by Lilypond itself, and
> > it should be tuned, if necessary, only with that small values. And if you
> > do this, and you don't want to use the extra-offset property, you are
> > forced to use the ruler in the way I explained...
>
> So to restate: You’d like a command like \offset (say, \reposition) which
> tweaks the position of a grob from its final [calculated] position, pushing
> other grobs (in X or Y directions) as necessary? I can see how that would be
> a useful addition to the Lilypond codebase.
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.
> ________________________________

Well, \offset would do exactly that if there were a single property of
OttavaBracket which represents its position fully.  The bracket's
final position is represented by Y-offset *and* something else.

It seems that OttavaBracket doesn't support the
line-spanner-interface, which means you can't directly set the
Y-coordinate of the endpoints.  This seems like an oversight.  I've
seen some slanted continuation lines, for example.

(N.B. \offset doesn't currently work with nested properties--like
'bound-details--but that would be a future goal for enhancement.)

Best,
David