Re: building v2.19.83 - can't find libguile.so.17

From: Bric
Subject: Re: building v2.19.83 - can't find libguile.so.17
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 10:02:49 -0500 (EST)

On January 25, 2020 at 4:21 AM David Kastrup < address@hidden> wrote:

Jonas Hahnfeld < address@hidden> writes:

Am Freitag, den 24.01.2020, 16:45 -0500 schrieb Bric:
i am building lilypond-2.19.83 on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

-pthread -L/usr/local/lib -lguile -lltdl -lgmp -lcrypt -lm -lltdl

how can i make lilypond find the shared object?
I just checked and Ubuntu apparently doesn't look for libraries in
/usr/local/lib (at least on my system). If you want it to, you might
try export'ing LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib in your shell. This
*should* work without removing other versions of guile from your
system.
I have my version of Guile-1.8 installed in a place where Ubuntu will
most certainly not bother looking unless told otherwise

guile-config is supposed to be supplying the required options for
compiling and linking to make it look in the installation place relevant
when guile-config was being installed.
Well, i don't know what happened at this point.  I got a minute to get back to it just now, ran "make" in the source root, where I was getting the error earlier, and make finished !

Then "sudo make install"  and "lilypond --version" is now showing "...2.19.83"

i don't remember what i may have done a couple of days ago - with library paths or guile-config, etc.  Sorry.

This successful build still has the  ./configure options I sent a few days ago:

$ ./configure GUILE=/usr/bin/guile GUILE_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/guile-config

and to answer the question about LD_LIBRARY_PATH :  mine is/was empty; i did not set it to /usr/local/lib

--
David Kastrup