Re: ly:make-pitch​

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ly:make-pitch​
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 00:28:47 +0100

Am Sonntag, den 16.02.2020, 00:19 +0100 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Freeman Gilmore <address@hidden> writes:

> > > Beneath
> > >
> > > lily/pitch-scheme.cc:LY_DEFINE (ly_make_pitch, "ly:make-pitch",
> > >

> > I could not find this in the LilyPond program, but I did find this
> > in Git
> > Hub.
> >
> > I do not understand what i do not know; but it looks like nothing
> > more than
> > giving a LilyPond  name to a scheme procedure ly:make-pitch that
> > asked
> > about, no algorithm.  It does mention the 3 variable inputs but not
> > how or
> > what it does.
> >
> > Where is this procedure in the LilyPond files?
>
> I have no idea what you call "the LilyPond files".

I think there's a misunderstanding here. Freeman asks for (I assume)
the *Scheme* definition of the ly:make-pitch procedure.

@Freeman: Usually the procedures starting with "ly:" are not defined in
Scheme but in the C++ files.
The C++ function (I'm not sure function is the correct term here)
"LY_DEFINE" somehow maps the Scheme function ly:make-pitch to the C++
function ly_make_pitch.

So if you want to know how that procedure works (or any of the ly:
stuff) you will have to look at the C++ code because the Scheme
function is essentially an *interface* to the C++ function.

HTH
Urs