midi via Scheme

From: Lee Zipin
Subject: midi via Scheme
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:28:40 -0800

I've got an 'include' file that renders a top-level script (separate file) as a book comprising C, Bb and Eb parts.  The C part \score block contains \midi { }, usually commented out unless I want to sanity-check a new script.

I've been trying to include or exclude it (instead of commenting it in or out) via a definition in the top-level script, e.g.,

  includeMIDI = ##t

But I can't find a Scheme way to run MIDI, like

  #(if (defined? 'includeMIDI) (midi (tempo 4=150)))    ; clearly BAD CODE

How to write that line? - to work properly in a \score block.

How do I find the Scheme method of calling an arbitrary LilyPond function?

Thanks for your time and help.

-- Lee