Re: box-stencil (was: Drawing boxes around grobs)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: box-stencil (was: Drawing boxes around grobs)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 20:57:18 +0100

Am So., 23. Feb. 2020 um 18:13 Uhr schrieb Paolo Prete <address@hidden>:

> On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 12:54 PM Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> A *pragmatic solution* to your problem would be to re-define the dynamics
>> definitions concerned, simply adding a wee bit of space to the left and to
>> the right, as in
>>
>>   mf = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:line (#:hspace 0.2 "mf" #:hspace
>> 0.5)))
>>
>> This will make your output look like
>>
>> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/italic-box-overshoot-dynamics.png>
>>
>> HTH,
>> Torsten
>

> Hello Thorsten,
>
> unfortunately this work-around has the side effect of adding unwanted padding
> when the dynamic is followed by a hairpin.
>  I wonder if is there, at least, a way to overlay the dynamic *over* the box
> (and not the box over the dynamic, as it happen by default)
> Thanks for your support,
>
> Best

Well, the default does so:

{
  \override DynamicText.stencil =
    #(make-stencil-boxer 0.4 0
      (lambda (grob) (stencil-with-color (ly:text-interface::print grob) red)))

    c'_\mf
}

If you use Aaron's redefinition of 'make-stencil-boxer', then, in
'box-stencil', switch the arguments here;
      (ly:stencil-expr (ly:stencil-add stencil box))
->
      (ly:stencil-expr (ly:stencil-add box stencil))

HTH,
  Harm