Re: Transposing instruments

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Transposing instruments
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 12:29:07 +0100

El 15/2/20 a las 18:10, Kieren MacMillan escribió:
Hi Pierre-Luc,

I now feel a weight have been lifted from my shoulders.

Well, I hope we don’t hear from you years from now saying “For what it's worth,
I wish somebody would have told me earlier that I
should use clefs rather than transpositions.”  LOL

Cheers,
Kieren.

Just like LilyPond allows engraving a simple song with

  \score {  { b } \addlyrics { Bee } }

(you'd never engrave an opera this way, but you also don't want to be unnecessarily overkilling), LilyPond allows the simple case of engraving guitar music in G clef and, if no more complex use is to be made from this (e.g. reusing) then all is fine. You can get correct pitches on MIDI by \transposition.

You can, alternatively, enter correct pitches and a false clef which moves the music an octave up and hides the 8. The fact is, guitar music is usually written in plain G clef and this is known to sound an octave lower. It's common practice.

I also agree on guitar being no essentially different to e.g. clarinet on this respect.

So my question for Kieren is, for large scores involving transposing wind instruments along with strings etc, how do you manage this by using only clefs and no transposition?

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es