Re: Problems generating MIDI

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Problems generating MIDI
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 20:34:11 +0100

El 15/3/20 a las 18:52, Pablo Cordal escribió:
Yes, I use Frescobaldi to generate the MIDI, and I use Windows Media Player to listen to the midi file.

This is the process:
- I open the .ly with Frescobaldi
- Crtl + M to generate the pdf (music sheet) and the MIDI file
- I listen to the midi file with WMP
- I close WMP
- I modify the .ly file inside Frecobaldi (for instance, I add another note)
- Press Crtl+M
- The midi file is not overwritten

So... I close Frescobaldi, delete the midi file and reopen the .ly file. Then I press Crtl+M and then a new midi file is generated. I'd rather not having to close Frecobaldi to generate a new midi, makes my work slower.

Any ideas?

I know the problem is now solved, but there is a reason worth knowing, why this did now work before.

If you don't have the option 'Save document if possible' in LilyPond settings, and you press Ctrl+M on a modified document, or on a new document you have not saved yet, then lilypond is run on a temporary file.

That's why the MIDI file is not overwritten.

Please set the option to always save, of get used to the key sequence Ctrl+S,Ctrl+M every time.

--
Francisco Vila, Ph.D. - Badajoz (Spain)
paconet.org , lilypond.es